Norwich Market bibliography
Norwich Market book
Royal Exchange

Royal ExhangeRoyal Exchange demolished The Royal Exhange, located at 44, Market Place, started trading as the Exchange Coffee House in 1830. Although by 1867 it was licensed as the Royal Exchange throughout its life it was known by a number of names. In this 1875 photo (left), reproduced by kind permission of the Norfolk Library and Information Service, it is just possible to make out that the name above the window reads "Exchange Chop House." It closed in 1922.

Along with neighbouring buildings, the premises were taken over as office space by the Norwich City Council. In May 1938 all the building straddling the Market Place were demolished, as seen in George Plunketts's photo (right) to make way for the development of the new market place and City Hall, the tower of which can just be seen in the background.