Norwich Market bibliography
Norwich Market book
Black Prince

Black Prince  Norwich pubBlack Prince, demolished c1938The Black Prince, located at 41, Market Place stood next door to the Waterloo.

It was first licensed in 1760, when Licensing Laws were introduced, but was probably trading before this time. The links it had with the Market were clearly illustrated when it was advertised for sale in the Norfolk Chronicle on 13th April 1782 as ".... an Estate, in the Market Place, in Norwich consisting of two good Dwelling-houses and Shops, and a Public House, called the BLACK PRINCE, and several Butcher's stalls and Shops adjoining, all in exceeding good repair"

It ceased trading in September 1932 when the premises was sold to Norwich City Council who used it along with neighbouring buildings as office space which is what it was when George Plunkett photographed it in 1936 (left)

It was destroyed in May 1938 along with all the buildings straddling the Market Place to make way for the development of the new market place and City Hall as illustrated in the right hand photograph, reproduced by kind permission of the Norfolk Library and Information Service. Note the tower of the new City Hall which is nearly completed.